All opinions posted. None too pathetic or contrived. Everyone gets their say.

"...even the wicked get worse than they deserve." - Willa Cather, One of Ours

Monday, March 22, 2004

Breaking with Old Ideas

Roger Simon (Libertarian)

I still find it difficult admitting to myself (and to others) that I could possibly be agreeing with George Bush on anything. Just last night I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in years, a rather well known writer, and he was wearing a large John Kerry campaign pin on his jacket. (I mean a big one that you couldn't miss from across the room.) And I thought, amidst the usual how-are-ya small talk, do I want to go into this? Do I want to discuss my transformation with this man and make him either dislike me or think I've gone crazy? Of course, I took a pass.

But when I read that the administration is serious about pushing democracy, that it isn't all rhetoric and that Powell just visited Riyadh to press the Saudis to get their dissidents out of jail and that heavy economic pressure on Syria is imminent (scroll down on this link), I wonder why it is I have become open to supporting people (Republicans) I wouldn't have in the past, but many others have not. I honestly don't know.


<< Home