All opinions posted. None too pathetic or contrived. Everyone gets their say.

"...even the wicked get worse than they deserve." - Willa Cather, One of Ours

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Neo-cons & Jews


When I originally came across the term "neo-conservatives" several years ago, I quite liked it.

It was a term that provided a helpful intellectual frame of reference that was useful in differentiating between old line rightist conservatives (i.e. "paleo-conservatives" like Bill Buckley), and a newer generation of rightist conservatives, many of whom in previous generations might have been conservative Democrats.

It has become clear to me that the term “neo-cons” has stopped being used primarily to differentiate between ideological factions in the Republican Party, and is used today, particularly by journalism and political elites in Europe, as pejorative slang for “Jews”. It has become a racist slur. This term has lost its legitimacy for use by decent people.

Therefore, so that I will not be mistaken as an anti-semite, I have decided to stop using this term, although I may refer to it when it is used as a term of reference by others.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home