All opinions posted. None too pathetic or contrived. Everyone gets their say.

"...even the wicked get worse than they deserve." - Willa Cather, One of Ours

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Excerpt from "The Nuance-headed League," a Sherlock Holmes Mystery, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Protien Wisdom
by Jeff Goldstein

..."Sherlock Holmes's quick eye took in my occupation, and he shook his head with a smile as he noticed my questioning glances. 'Beyond the obvious facts that he has at no time done manual labor, that he takes drink, that he is a West African-born diplomat of some stature, that he has been bribed by a ruthless and since deposed dictator, and that he has done a considerable amount of lying lately, I can deduce nothing else.'

"Mr. Kofi Annan started up in his chair, with his forefinger upon the paper, but his eyes upon my companion.

"'How, in the name of good-fortune, did you know all that, Mr. Holmes?' he asked...

..."Mr. Kofi Annan lauged heavily. 'Well, I never!' said he. 'I thought at first that you had done something clever, but I see that there was nothing in it, after all."

"'I begin to think, Watson,' said Holmes, 'that I make a mistake in explaining. "Omne ignotum pro magnifico," you know, and my poor little reputation, such as it is, will suffer shipwreck if I am so candid.'

"'I am sorry,' replied Mr. Kofi Annan, clearly confused by my companion's obscure reference. 'But my Latin is not as it should be, having eroded from years of thinking in nothing but diplomatic speak.'

"'It means, Sir,' I told him, 'something like, "Oh yeah? Well then let's see you do it, bitch --'

"'-- Well,' Holmes was quick to interject. 'That is a very loose translation, Watson...'" [...]
Both funny and brilliant. A rare combination.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home